Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Elimination Diet

One of the biggest challenges we are about to face is the Food Elimination Diet. This diet will help us identify any hidden food allergies. Each member of the family has their own challenges. David and I love coffee.  Our daughter, Kaela, craves dairy and pickles. Jadon is not a picky eater, thank goodness, but he still likes may products that contain the foods we can no longer eat.

According to our elimination diet, we have to remove gluten, corn, soy, dairy, sugar, maple syrup, beef, eggs, citrus, strawberries, coffee/caffeine, and vinegar. Piece of cake, right? Now think about what your kids, even healthy ones, eat in a day. Think about school lunches, peer pressure, and preventing them from losing weight (our kids are already pretty skinny.) I panicked. Take dairy away from the child who would live on cream cheese sandwiches, cheese, and yogurt if she could? Take away beef from my son the steak lover? Take away coffee from me? OMG.

This elimination diet allows: chicken and turkey, all fruits/veggies/unrefined oils, spices, milk substitutes (coconut, rice, almond, and hemp milk), herbal teas, and any bread/pasta that falls in the above category. The only two sweeteners we can use are honey and stevia.

As much as I love HealthNow, they did not fully prepare us for a "kid's elimination diet." Maybe it is just me but I need a "how to" guide on this. I started doing some research to see just what we could make that our kids would eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment